The Regional Investments and Capital Markets Conference started in 2006 and is hosted annually by the JSE at the beginning of each year. The Conference attracts an elite group of executives and sponsors from different industries in Jamaica and across the region. There is no better testimony to the success of any Conference than the fact that the major sponsors remain on-board year after year. Jefferies Group LLC is the Conference’s main overseas sponsor, a leading global investment banking firm that provides investors, companies and governments with a full range of investment banking and wealth management services across the financial spectrum.
By its successful staging each year, JSE’s Regional Conference has earned its place as a calendar event to which government officials, leading experts in business, investors and other stakeholders, locally and worldwide look forward to attend each year. With each year’s theme, the Conference gets more exciting and entertaining. Since 2021, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Conference is held in hybrid format and participants join from Asia, Africa, Europe and North and South America. This has enhanced the popularity of the Conference and positioned it to being among the best conferences in the world.
The Conference examines areas of growth, challenges and advancements that are currently shaping societies and the world economies and critique how economies and businesses can best manage such rapid changes and capitalize on opportunities for progress through provocative discussions, formal and informal.
Every year, the conference brings together world class leaders and industry experts who willingly share their success secrets and demystify complex topics into common language that business people and professionals from every sector can understand and be equipped for the year ahead, to navigate successfully and thrive through the sweeping global trends and disruptions that are affecting every country and region.
- To bring together key participants of the financial services industry to discuss and present ideas on issues pertinent to the development of the sector.
- To facilitate a forum for the development of strategies necessary for the future growth of the sector in the region.
- To assist in the creation of partnerships and improve understanding between financial institutions to allow for the generation of investment opportunities.
- To provide a showcase for industry trends, products and services.
- To create an awareness of the importance of the capital market to the economic development and prosperity of the society and region.
In recent years, the Conference has given special attention to attract Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) through its Entrepreneurial Pitch Room, which has been very successful in building start- ups and strengthening fledging, yet great business ventures.
Successes Over The Years
The JSE over the years has discussed topics in an effort to spur national development and create business opportunities. Some of these topics discussed at the conference, have also seen changes in government policies.
Here are a few:
- Exposure of Ponzi schemes in Jamaica
- Rebuilding and doing business in Haiti
- Sports as a business – Diamond League & World Cup Football
- Junior Stock Market
- Doing Business in China
- Cloud Technology
- Alternate energy – business lifeline
- Logistic Hub
- Doing business in Africa
The Conference not only provides an immediate return on investment, but also a productive platform, which builds confidence, spurs wealth creation and enables businesses and their sectors to thrive in an ever-evolving complex world economy.