The JSE has a rich history of mobilizing capital for companies which list on the Exchange, and we provide a conduit through which investors can create wealth by investing in these companies. The JSE operates using first class and globally accepted technology and through its trading and surveillance platforms provide a safe and efficient stock market. Through these efforts, the JSE has been recognized internationally, by Bloomberg, as the No. 1 Performing Exchange in the World twice.
Kingston Stock Market
• Mr. Willard Samms – Annett & Company Limited
• Mr. Raglan I. Golding – Capital Market Services (Ja) Ltd.
Mr. Edward E. Gayle – Edward Gayle & Company Ltd.
• Mr. Anthony Lloyd – Pitfield McKay Ross & Co Ltd.
• JSE was incorporated as a private limited liability company.
• The JSE is the first stock market to be established in the English-Speaking Caribbean and remains the only Securities Exchange in Jamaica.
• The JSE Composite Index, the market’s main indicator of performance.
#1 Stock Market Survey
Passing of Securities Act
Inside the Market
• The JSE All Jamaican Composite Index, which includes only Jamaican companies was introduced.
• The Jamaica Select Index was introduced on June 1. It comprises and reflects the performance of the fifteen most liquid stocks in the market.
• JSE introduced the Best Practices Awards.
JSE on the Move
• The JSE Main Index recorded its highest value of 120,385.49 points.
• On June 3, a historic note was sounded when Representatives of the Jamaica Stock Exchange attended the New York Stock Exchange and Prime Minister the Rt. Hon. P.J. Patterson rang the Opening Bell.
• The Regional Investments and Capital Markets Conference was introduced.
Road to Demutualization
Demutualization & New Products & Services
• Established Regulatory Market Oversight Committee (RMOC) and Regulatory Market Oversight Division (RMOD).
• The Company’s subsidiary, JCSD, introduced JCSD Trustee Services (JCSDTS).
• In September, the JSE celebrated its first National Investor Education Week (NIEW).
• Launch of the Stock Market Game (SMG) for High Schools.
• Launch of the JSE’s Junior Market on April 1.
• Access Financial Services Limited became the first company to be listed on the Junior Market.
• Launch of RMOD’s Automated Market Surveillance System, the first such electronic system in the region.
• Effective July 1, all non-resident shareholders were subjected to tax on dividends at 33 1/3% for corporations and 25% for individuals.
Launch of JSE e-Campus
US$ Denominated Securities
• PROVEN listed first US denominated securities.
Largest Acquisition of a Jamaican Company
Revised Tax on Dividends
Launch of New Stock Market Game
#1 Stock Exchange launched New Products and Online Platform
• Launch of Online Trading Platform
• Launch of Jamaica Depository Receipt platform
More Games & Rewards
• Launch of the JSE's Loyalty Rewards Programme in November.
• 37% increase in the number of investors on the Market.
Markets on the Move
• The Main Market reached the trillion-dollar in market capitalization. It grew to J$1.05 trillion.
• J$1.13 billion raised on the Junior Market.
• J$11.54 billion raised on the Main Market.
• Combined J$15.56 billion raised on the Markets.
Best Performing Exchange Broke Record
• 17 securities listed. Raised a record JA$21.02 Billion on the Market.
• Launch of the Mobile App for Apple Devices in July.
• JSE broke the 100 Barrier of Securities Listed on the Markets.
• The Jamaica Social Stock Exchange (JSSE) was launched at the JSE's Regional Conference by the Right Honourable Andrew Holness, Prime Minister of Jamaica.
• The inaugural hosting of Market Meets the Market by the Sea was held on Thursday, February 7.
• The JSE’s 1st ‘Welcome to Kingston’, 5K Run/Walk was held along the Kingston Waterfront, Downtown, on Sunday, July 14.
• Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE) welcomed the JSE in Toronto on August 23 with a Bell Ringing Ceremony to mark the JSE’s 50th Anniversary. An Agreement for the cross-listing of securities was signed.
• On November 5, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) celebrated with the JSE and raised the Jamaican flag for the first time on its building, in recognition of the JSE’s 50th Anniversary and the JSE being recognized by Bloomberg as the Number One Performing Stock Exchange in the World for 2018.
• Bloomberg hosted the JSE for the first time at its offices in New York City on November 5 and held a live interview with the JSE’s Managing Director, Marlene Street Forrest, which focused on the ‘secret sauce’ behind JSE’s No. 1 world position and performance.
• JSE migrated to the NASDAQ Trading Platform on December 2 and NASDAQ placed the JSE’s logo in Times Square, New York, in recognition of the JSE's 50th Anniversary.
Beating the Odds - Overcoming Challenges
2 on the Junior Market,
4 on the Main Market and
2 on the USD Equities Market.
• DeafCan was the first Social Project to List on the JSSE. It was listed on February, 25.
• JSSE/IDB launched Innovating Social Sector Financing Project on August 5.
• A total of $14.1 billion was raised from the Offer of 10,000,000,000 ordinary shares of Transjamaican Highway Limited. The largest amount raised in JSE’s history.